Wednesday, November 4, 2009

JoePa


"Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good."
Joe Paterno

I think you know Joe Paterno has been at Penn State a long time, but I don't think you truly appreciate that. I know this because until just now I didn't really appreciate it. I've always seen Joe Paterno the caricature, not Joe Paterno the man. I saw the goofy, signature glasses and listened to his distinguished and unique voice. I didn't really give him second thoughts beyond that. He was just Joe Paterno, the coach at  Penn State. I didn't know any different.

Well, neither has my father nor most likely most of your parents at that. The man is 83 and in his 60th (60th!!!!!) consecutive season of coaching the Nittany Lions. Not only does he know a thing or two about football (he the all-time winningest coach in the sport), but he is also a respected mentor who strives to make his players better students, men, and human beings. Even in 2009  his team is 6-1 (41-10 since 2005) and competing for a Big Ten title. Just incredible.

If you love college football, hell, if you love sports, read this incredible and visually evocative Sports Illustrated piece so that you can fully understand just how special Joe Paterno is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment