Monday, October 26, 2009

Pinstripe Loathing



JNG: Cheering for the Yankees is about as appealing to me as having to watch "Ace Ventura Jr. Pet Detective" (yes, this is actually a movie). I despise them. Always have, certainly always will. Having recently moved to New York after college, it pains me to be around so many loud and obnoxious idiots (Yankee fans).

The late 90s were a rough time for myself and all pinstripe haters as the Bronx Bombers, led by Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and Andy Pettite (wait a second...) went on to win 4 World Series titles from 1996-2000. The culminating title, a 4-1 demolition of the Mets, allowed the arrogance of Yankees fans to reach an all-time high.

Things looked bleak. Yet, since that 2000 title it seems that all those arrogant For-No-Reason Yankee fans (and come on, 95% of Yankee fans have absolutely no affiliation with the team and are never heard of unless the team is winning) angered the Baseball Gods. This decade has seen the Yankees missing the playoffs in 2008, losing in two World Series finals to underdog teams, and getting the nice prize of being the only team in baseball history to ever lose a series they were leading 3-0...to the Red Sox no less. I'll never forget the pure, and I guess kind of sadistic, pleasure a friend and I got making a girl in our history class, the definition of a For-No-Reason Yankees fan, cry after the Red Sox came back.Yes, the Zeros (is there any good nickname for this decade?) has been good to us Yankee haters.

Now, as this decade comes to a close the Yankees are back in the World Series facing the defending champion Philadelphia Phillies. For the sake of my sanity Baseball Gods, please, please, please let the next decade be as good as the last.

Phillies in 6 or else I might be the one crying.

MLC: Now believe it or not, I'm actually quite please that the Yankees are back in the Fall Classic.  Don't get it twisted, I hate the Yankees as much as anyone in the world.  Considering the four years I spent with the young citizens of the tri-state area and their tri-state transplant relatives as a student at the University of Miami, I've heard a lot of crap from the New Yawkas.  But you know what's been great about all of it?  They all have to shut up when they lose.

And that's what I'm hoping for here.  What could be better than sky high hopes to match a sky high payroll being totally dashed.  Where do the Yanks go if they lose this one?  It would be awesome.

Similar to the overly swaggering Pats fans from Bahston being so overly confident going into the Super Bowl and then hiding in a hole for a month after finishing the season 18-1.  I'm hoping they'll come in talking a whole bunch of shit and then just disappear.

Then I only have to deal with Philly fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment