Thursday, October 15, 2009

JNG Intro: Craving More

So here we are at the beginning of this little adventure... Alright, well technically, no, that's not true...

Mitch and I have known each other since the early days of the Clinton administration, bumping into each other on the basketball courts during recess while all the other boys ran around rabidly arguing who would be the Red Ranger (yes, I am dating myself with a Power Rangers reference). We had more important things on our minds: sports. And sitting here now, looking back at the past 17 years, it feels like not a week has gone by without either of us getting in touch with the other to argue, debate, and converse about all things sports (we do occasionally touch on the other obligatory "man" topics as well).

How do you satiate a passion for sports? Mitch and I have been wondering that for years. The simple answer is, as I assume you are aware, is that there isn't any real way to do this. When you're a sports fan, you're a sports fan. That's that. As Bill Paxton so eloquently put it in "Alens", once you start your relationship with sports it's "Game over man, game over."

Yet, this isn't some sort of burden. Unlike everything else in life where selfishly wanting more can lead to a bulging waistline or an STD, the craving for sports only leads to more sports, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

This website isn't made in some false hope that we can satisfy you or our own love for sports. It isn't created because we found ourselves all too bored with our first "real world" jobs (although we are). We don't have some lofty expectation that people are going to be hitting refresh on ESPN's website, anxiously awaiting for Bill Simmons to post a new article, and upon disappointment of another podcast (Bill Simmons is an idol of ours, but come on dude, your a writer) skip on over to The Sporting Dudes.

No, we just realize that new media and advanced technology allows for a connection to all things sports 24/7. More than anything we want some form of communication where we can put our many, many interesting and personal thoughts, opinions, and arguments down in concrete form, and just to put it out there... for entertainment, for mockery, for discussion, for who knows? We don't have the slightest idea how this could end up. Best case scenario, the world sees us for the genuine, clever, witty sports fanatics we are. At worst, we will have just be keeping on doing what we've done for the last 17 years: arguing over who is right and who is the more genuine, more clever, wittier, better looking sports fan between ourselves (hint: I am).

As for myself, anyone who has met me (especially Mitch)  knows how opinionated I can be, especially with regards to the sports kingdom. I will argue for arguing s sake, even if I don't agree with my own argument. You say the SEC is the end-all, be-all of college football? I say its more overrated than Justin Bieber. You say LeBron James is the best player in basketball? I say he would crab dribble his way into oblivion if he weren't a physical freak. You say golf's a sport? I say if you can do it, and do it well, smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer, and wearing hideous plaid pants, than no sir, it is not a sport. You say Colt McCoy is the most badass name in the history of college football? Well, some things I can't argue.

I'll give you opinions and stories, facts and biases, lists and predictions, pop culture references and recommendations. I'll give you it all. You might agree. You might be pissed off.

Now, as a man much wiser than me said, "Let's start the insanity..."

JNG

My bio information can be found at our feeder website: www.wix.com/jng2412/thesportingdudes





No comments:

Post a Comment